Trumphurst Home Page
Available C++ Libraries FAQ
Libraries available to download (Q-Z)
STXXL - Standard Template Library for Extra Large Data Sets
The core of STXXL is an implementation of the C++ standard template library STL for external memory (out-of-core) computations, i.e., STXXL implements containers and algorithms that can process huge volumes of data that only fit on disks. While the closeness to the STL supports ease of use and compatibility with existing applications, another design priority is high performance.
The key features of STXXL are:
- Transparent support of parallel disks. The library provides implementations of basic parallel disk algorithms. STXXL is the only external memory algorithm library supporting parallel disks.
- The library is able to handle problems of very large size (tested to up to dozens of terabytes).
- Improved utilization of computer resources. STXXL implementations of external memory algorithms and data structures benefit from overlapping of I/O and computation.
- Small constant factors in I/O volume. A unique library feature called "pipelining" can save more than half the number of I/Os in many applications.
- Shorter development times due to well known STL-compatible interfaces for external memory algorithms and data structures.
- STL algorithms can be directly applied to STXXL containers; moreover, the I/O complexity of the algorithms remains optimal in most of the cases.
- PC 32-bit Windows
Added : 2010-11-16 Amended: 2010-11-16 Licensing : Boost
Add a comment
Beat the credit crunch - buy gold online - quickly, safely and at low prices
C++ Usenet Newsgroup
A Web form for submissions to this list
Contact the author for permission to distribute
Copyright (c) 2019 Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd.
Permission is granted to distribute over the Internet without charge.
The author's permission is required (and usually given) to distribute
in any other way, including on CD.